The landscape on Lanzarote is very special with the volcanic rock and ancient lava flows. Apparently, the soil and climate is perfect for wine, with one exception. It rains very little. Therefore, the farmers have to build walls and plant the wine in deep holes where the water collects.
It has become a tradition to start the year somewhere warm and sunny (life if full of traditions!). Well, we are back on Fuerteventura and Lanzarote for two weeks. Besides answering a few help calls from Norway and reading a paper or two, we are driving around the islands, drinking coffee, visiting lovely towns, eating cake and we had a surf lesson yesterday! This was the first time I was surfing and I really love it. The water was so warm, we could surf for several hours. I managed to stand on the board a couple of times and we are going back to the beach tomorrow!
„Love isn’t a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like “struggle.” To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.“ Fred Rogers
Watch the documentary about Fred Rogers and his television show for kids: Mister Rogers‘ Neighborhood.
- I organized two trait courses, one in the Andes in Peru, and another one close to the North Pole on Svalbard. It was fun to see two very different places and meet and work with so many people.
- I did lots of wonderful ski trips with my new touring skis.
- I had a sunny and warm summer in Bergen and Switzerland.
- I walked alone to Trolltunga.
- For the second time, I posted a picture every day and will continue to do so.
- I started my third instagram channel about science: fromgrassesandsheep.
- I worked a from different places like Håvoll and Buechberg.
- I travelled around the world this year: Peru, Svalbard, Longyearbyen, Amsterdam and Iceland.
- 2018 was a very emotional year for me.
- I discovered camping in the cold season.
- I got an NFR grant to start my own research project and have a job for another 4 years.
- I published 5 papers.
Thanks to everybody who shared 2018 with me!
I don’t make new years resolutions, that’s stupid, but for 2019, I want to (re)discover the purpose of life, focus on what I want to give and not what I want to take and understand that nobody owes me anything (some of this is borrowed by Dr. Jacquelyn Gill). Stay wild, read lot’s of papers and books, do amazing field work in Norway, China and maybe Switzerland, learn to bake bread in the fire. If I am lucky I might move back to Switzerland but maybe I’ll just stay a little bit longer in Bergen. And I want to „create“ more things again: make bags, purses with cool fabric and leather, maybe learn to dye fabric and make a pair of ski’s (I don’t have enough yet).
Beautiful pictures and this reminds me that skiing season is around the corner. Where is the snow?!?